Eight Week World of Wine
Welcome to the most popular Wine course in Milton Keynes!
- grow your confidence for choosing wine
- explore and discover new favourites
- save money by learning to choose wines you are more likely to enjoy
- meet new people sharing your interest
Our World of Wine Course runs one evening per week for 8 weeks and is designed as a practical introduction to the world of wine. It's flexible - you can even join mid-way and pick up missed sessions later!
Course Fee Structure:
The course fee is £185. As a way of spreading out the cost, we ask for £105 payment on booking and then £10 in cash each evening. A great value and a saving on booking each night separately (this works out at approximately £23 per evening, usual cost if you booked on a single evening is £27.50 to £35 per evening).
It is a perfect Christmas or birthday gift for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more in a fun and relaxed environment. No previous experience required – the emphasis is on learning by tasting different wines.
Recent review: "Brilliant introduction. Each week a different country with the right level of information and wine to taste. Wines tasted are all affordable and available from local places. Fun and informative - highly recommended!"
WHAT IF I HAVE TO MISS ANY EVENINGS?
No problem - Pick up the missed session on the next World of Wine Course, or get a credit you can use for any of our wine courses or wine tastings. Courses run throughout the year - more dates announced soon.
WHAT WILL I GET FROM THIS COURSE?
By the end of the 8 evenings:
- You will have gained a good understanding of the world's major grape varieties and the wine styles they produce
- You will have been taught to assess and taste wine like a true professional, and be able to identify any faults found in wine (e.g. a corked wine)
- During the 8 evenings we will have tasted wines from most of the worlds major wine regions (tasting 50+ wines)
- Food & wine matching will also have given you a lot of confidence to try new wine pairings with your favourite foods
- You will also have developed your sense of smell and wine vocabulary
Professional ISO tasting glasses, comprehensive tasting notes and some nibbles to help compare food groups with wine are provided
KEY FEATURES OF THE WORLD OF WINE COURSE
- Taste over 50 delicious wines in 8 weeks
- Retail prices of wines tasted will generally be between £5 and £20
- Discover where to obtain today's best value for money wines.
- Wine and food matching advice
- Common wine faults - how to spot them
- Storing and serving wine advice
- Taste the world’s major red grape varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Grenache and others
- Taste the world’s major white grape varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Semillon, Viognier, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc and others
- Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting notes and course notes are all provided
COURSE OUTLINE: WEEK BY WEEK
- Week 1 Thurs 9th January - Tasting skills, aroma tests, major grape varieties (note it is not a requirement to attend this session first - if you happen to be away and can't attend the content is re-capped in other sessions and it won't spoil your enjoyment to catch it again later or even do it last!)
- Week 2 Thursday 16th January - France: all the major regions + the importance of climate and weather
- Week 3 Thursday 23rd January- Italy: the major wines + principles of wine and food pairing
- Week 4 Thursday 30th January- Spain & Portugal + serving and storing wine
- Week 5 Thursday 6th February- Chile & Argentina + common wine faults
- Week 6 Thursday 13th February - Australia & New Zealand + how wine is made
- Week 7 Thursday 20th February- USA & South Africa + understanding wine labels
- Week 8 Thursday 27th February- Champagne & Sparkling Wine
Tastings start at 7pm and run for approx 2 hours, finishing 9pm.
Each week we will examine how different grape varieties, different climates and local wine-making techniques impact on the aromas and flavours of the wine. Through practice and our guidance you will learn how to identify the wine's characteristics - we show you how to taste and appraise wine like a professional. We believe that the best aide to learning about wine is the process of tasting and comparing for yourself and that is exactly what you will have the chance to do in our relaxed and informal setting.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Thu 9th Jan 2020 at 7pm to 9pm
Duration: 8 weeks. Thursday ev
Venue: MK Gallery, 900 Midsummer Blvd, Milton Keynes MK9 3QA